Saturday, September 18, 2010

I decided it was too late

I walked onto the train tracks
And I decided that today was the day
I decided that if the conductor saw me it would be too late
If I screamed no one would hear me
As the train rides away
If I lay dead on the tracks who anyone see me
Who anyone stop to help me
I decided that none of it was as simple as yes or no
I decided that once the train came I would never really know the answer
Because I would be gone
I stood and I realized
I wasn't alone
I stood with hundreds more young and old
Standing on the tracks
Waiting for the same fate
Not acknowledging that anyone else was there
I realized there were cars passing by us, none stopping
Unwilling to help
Unwilling to take the time to notice
Unwilling to be selfless
We were all caught in our own
I decided to step off the tracks
I decided that nothing would change
Hundreds more would return tomorrow
And more cars would pass
And the train would still come
I wondered why they were still there
I wondered why I was there
I decided this wasn't right
I screamed begging for someone to notice
For someone else to leave the tracks
For someone to leave their car
The train came
Two cars stopped
Five people left the tracks
The train left
I wondered how long it would take for the dead bodies to be seen
I decided eight voices won't matter
If hundreds more refuse to listen

No comments:

Post a Comment